Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Research Log Activity and Entry

Question:
1) What question did you try to answer? (1/2 point)
2) What search engine or engines did you use? (1/2 point)
3) Questions about your search (1 point)
3a) What search terms did you use?
3b) How many results did you get when you entered your terms? How many did you get when you used OR? Which set was bigger? Can you figure out why?
4) Evaluation (1 point)
4a) What questions did you use to evaluate your results?
4b) What conclusion did you draw about the value of the site and why?
5) Having conducted this research activity, what questions came into your mind that you could use to continue your exploration? (1 point)
--
Answer:
1) My question I want to answer is : "Why undeveloped countries have high birth rates?"
2) I used google as my search engine.
3a) the search terms i used are: undeveloped countries, third world countries, high birth rates, high fertility rate.
3b) questions asked on google:
**Why undeveloped countries have high birth rates? --> i have 248,000 results
**undeveloped countries or third world countries and high birth rates or high fertility rate --> i have 169,000 results.

I think the reason why my regular question is bigger because it was not specfic enough. So i believe that the question where i use "or" and "and" in my search bar, are more specfic and close to what I'm looking for.

4a) I used C.A.R.D.I.O to evulate my results.
C.urrency --> Is there a date and how current is the release?
A.uthority--> Who published the web page and does it contain footnotes?
R.elevance--> How close to the material im searching for?
D.epth--> what area or period does this material covered?
I.information Type--> Is this fact or opinion based?
O.bjectivity--> Is the article well written and well organized?

4b) I choose these sites --> http://www.answers.com/topic/overpopulation-1
and http://www.bioethics.iastate.edu/forum/partha.html
I choose these sites because they are fully cited, very well organized and very informational.

5)Well, two questions came into my mind as I could use to continue my reseach.
**What are the effects of overpopulation?
**What can the highly developed countries can do to help those underdeveloped countries control their birth rates?

1 comment:

  1. You were very thorough. In next week's work, you will learn some new techniques for web searching, including the use of quotation marks. Your search included: undeveloped countries, third world countries, high birth rates, high fertility rate. The system supplied AND so that you got undeveloped AND countries, for examples. If you enter "undeveloped countries" you should retrieve fewer results because the two words need to sit next to each other. Also, you could use a synonym. "Undeveloped countries" is a term that used to be common, but now countries at this economic level are referred to as "developing countries." You could use

    ("undeveloped countries" OR "developing countries), but you would have to put this string inside parentheses in order to combine it with something else. It's algabra with words.

    You'd have to work out a string that told the search engine which operations to complete first and in what order.

    I like your questions very much. Good thinking.

    ReplyDelete